This Page

has been moved to new address

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes

Including drinking far too many pumpkin beers, I have been a little obsessed with pumpkin lately. I've been eating pumpkin oatmeal and drinking homemade pumpkin lattes like it is my job for the past few weeks. 

Last night I thought pumpkin pancakes might be nice for dinner.
I looked at quite a few recipes. One included a scoop of protein powder in the pancakes. I decided to give it a try, since I like to make sure Jer gets enough protein on Meatless Monday.
I borrowed a few ideas from a few recipes, and this is what I came up with:

Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
Makes 8 small cakes or 6 large
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder  (I used whey)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup skim milk (add 1/3 cup and then rest, if needed)
Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Add wet to dry and mix until just incorporated. Let sit for a few minutes to thicken while you make the topping.

Cinnamon Peaches
  • 2-3 peaches, sliced
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
Simmer in a saucepan on low until peaches are warm.
 



I garnished the 'cakes with some rosemary pecans. They added a much needed crunch and savory bite to the dish.

These were very dense pancakes. Certainly not the light and fluffy ones I'm used to. I was a little skeptical after tasting them, but Jerry's first response was "It tastes like a cookie!".
I took that as a good thing.
Sweet peach, doughy pancake, and crunchy pecans. He was right, I could have eaten this for dessert and been happy.
I'd like to try these without the protein powder, and see if it changes the texture.
I would also recommend that 2 large or 3 small pancakes in a serving. I was completely stuffed after eating 3 large pancakes.

I jogged an easy 3 miles with Jer and Sadie last night. I'm only going to go on one or two more easy runs before Sunday. I am already starting to get nervous. Including stalking the 7 day weather forecast!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At September 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM , Blogger EHHMom said...

Erin, those look so good. Good filling food for pre race eats. I am going to try w/o the protein powder and top w/ those peaches. great pictures.

 
At September 20, 2011 at 9:18 PM , Blogger LaurenMcC said...

wait - how do you make a homemade pumpkin latte???

 
At September 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Denny Love said...

these look unreal delicious. EEEEEK sunday!! Can't wait!!!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Denny Love said...

also, I second Lauren's question.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 5:13 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Homemade pumpkin latte recipe coming up!

 
At September 22, 2011 at 6:01 AM , Anonymous Melissa said...

I would like to know as well. I heard the pumpkin drinks at DD are just a regular coffee-like drink with a shot of pumpkin flavored syrup. GROSS!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home