This Page

has been moved to new address

Kitchen Nightmare

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Kitchen Nightmare

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Kitchen Nightmare

Sometimes I feel very fortunate that I enjoy cooking. It must be a struggle to feed yourself and family healthy, yummy food if you don't enjoy the process.
Part of the cooking process involves clean up and dishes. Yuck.
I am also very fortunate that when I moved in with Jerry, he enacted the "You cook, I'll clean" rule.
Yup, you read that correctly.

I don't do dishes.

Last night for dinner I  made chicken piccata, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted acorn squash, and steamed broccoli.

Poor Jerry.

Poor, poor Jerry.


I like to think that I don't usually make a mess of this proportion every night. I usually at least use a garbage bowl and put the dirty dishes in the sink. But last night I had a lot of things happening at once. My mess got a little out of control....
Good thing chicken piccata is one of Jerry's favorite meals.

Chicken Piccata
Serves 4
  • 2 chicken breasts, butterflied lengthwise (so you have 4 pieces of chicken)
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 Tbls olive oil
  • 1 Tbls butter
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and shake off excess. Brown chicken in the olive oil and butter on Med/High. You want to cook for about 2 minutes per side. The chicken won't be done, you just want it nice and brown on the outside.
Transfer the chicken to a plate. Add your wine to the pan and reduce for a few minutes. Turn to Med/Low and add chicken stock, capers, lemon juice, and parsley.
When it comes to a simmer, add your chicken (and any juices that are on the plate) back into the pan.
Let the chicken cook all nestled in the pan sauce with the lid on, until it is cooked all the way through.

I normally serve this with angel hair pasta, but Jerry requested mashed potatoes yesterday. He has been known to put the sauce from the chicken piccata on pretty much everything on his plate.
Not that I can blame him.



I have made this dish about a dozen times. I love the bright lemon juice and the briny capers. I love that the flour from the chicken thickens the sauce slightly, but not so much that it is a gravy.

Jerry must have loved it too.


I am one lucky cook.


Would you cook more frequently if you didn't have to do dishes?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At September 21, 2011 at 9:58 AM , Blogger jt_speedfreak said...

The food is well worth the cost of doing the dishes. If only I could figure out a way to do the dishes before dinner so we could enjoy a bottle of wine on the couch without having to get up afterward to clean up...

 
At September 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM , Blogger EHHMom said...

One good cook and one good cleaner- a perfect match.

Perhaps Sadie can figure into solving that clean up problem!

 
At September 22, 2011 at 5:58 AM , Anonymous Melissa said...

Nick does the dishes here when I cook too. Unfortunately, I don't very often have the time to cook anything as amazing as this!

 
At September 22, 2011 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Melissa: Nick does love to clean!
And I just noticed that chicken piccata is the middle photo in the header that Jerry designed. He really does love it....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home