This Page

has been moved to new address

Grilling Recap

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Grilling Recap

Monday, May 30, 2011

Grilling Recap

What a busy weekend!
But so far it has been full of healthy food and activities. Spinning class, hardwood floor installation, Savicki's Farm Market, and lots of grilling!
Speaking of grilling, here is a recap of some stuff we threw on the grill this week:
Wednesday- London broil and zucchini
Thursday- pizza
Sunday- burgers
I am awful lucky that my in-laws raise grass fed Angus cattle. Last year they had a couple of cows butchered and our freezer has been stocked ever since. Not only do I feel better knowing where the beef is coming (no hormones, etc) but is 10 times tastier than any other beef I've had. I refer to it as "Tylutki Beef".
So on Wednesday morning I marinated the world's largest London broil in a combination of Dinosaur BBQ Creole Honey Mustard and Wango Tango Sauce.
First, Jerry's grilling essentials:
Meat thermometer, timer, Magic Hat seasonal brew
Alongside the massive hunk of beef we had grilled zucchini:
Sprinkled with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika, and a little olive oil.
It was delicious. The paprika gave the zucchini a nice smoky taste without heat. We used some leftover beef in a stir fry on Saturday night, with lots of vegetables I got at Savicki's earlier in the day.



Thursday's dinner was grilled pizza. I wanted to use up a pineapple that had been sitting on my counter, so we grilled that along with some scallions.

 I wish we had more scallions, I really liked them grilled.
Next step was the dough. I usually just buy uncooked kind you get in the refrigerated aisle by the mozzarella cheese. I have made my own pizza dough, but that takes quite a bit of time for rising, and I got home from the gym close to 8pm, so we stuck with store bought.
We just stretch out the dough into any old shape with a little flour and the help of a rolling pin. And then just throw it on a hot grill!
We never end up with round pizzas!
Once you put the dough on, turn the grill to low and shut the lid. Wait just a couple of minutes and flip them over and repeat. We usually top the pizzas when we flip the dough, but I was waiting for Jerry to run out and pick up some wings so I topped them inside and let them sit in a warm oven until the cheese melted.
Mine is on the left and included a thin layer of Boursin cheese, baby spinach, grilled pineapple and scallions, tomatoes, and a little mozzarella. Jerry's had Boursin, bacon, pineapple, scallions, red onion, lotsa mozz, and fresh basil. I wished I had added the basil to mine after I saw his! I was also jealous of his side of wings and sneaked a bite when I thought he wasn't' looking.
I love grilled pizza. It has a nice crispy outside and a chewy inside. And we can both top them differently, so I can make mine a little healthier. We made another version on Sunday night with ricotta cheese that I had mixed fresh herbs in that was also great. We also grilled some Tylutki Beef burgers on the Weber that night, too. Nothing better than a burger on a charcoal grill!
I am looking forward to a long summer of grilling!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At May 30, 2011 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am so impressed, Erin! We grilled all weekend too, and I am definitely going to take some of your recipes. :) I'm loving the blog!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 7:13 PM , Blogger ridiculouslikethat said...

I burned my first grilled pizza of the season, I blame Kevin for not being around to be my sous chef. I have been hesitant to try again, but you have inspired me.

 
At May 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I'm lucky that Jerry usually grills the pizza. And he likes them slightly underdone, so that helps too!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 9:22 PM , Blogger Jess C said...

We're going to try (for the very first time) grilled pizza this week! After tasting the ones you made, we'd be crazy not to. And thank you Erin! Your advice on fresh herbs tasted delicious today when I added some to fresh summer squash and onions on the grill - yum!

 
At June 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Erin said...

@Jess: Fresh herbs are the best! Will post photos of my little potted herb garden soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home