This Page

has been moved to new address

Mocha Blondies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Mocha Blondies

Friday, June 24, 2011

Mocha Blondies

I haven't been baking as much as I used to. Maybe it is the warmer weather?
Last week I was looking for an easy recipe that wouldn't take long and that definitely included chocolate. I had bookmarked a Blondie recipe from Smitten Kitchen ages ago, so I decided to try it. I think Deb at Smitten Kitchen has some of the best recipes of any food blogger out there. She adapted this Blondie recipe from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman (food columnist for the NY Times). I'm already planning for How to Cook Everything to be my next cook book purchase.
To me, Blondies are like chocolate chip cookies but better. They are more dense, moist and chewy than a cookie. And I love that this recipe for Blondies gave suggestions for other additions at the bottom. Here is how my Blondies went:

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch salt
1 cup (4 3/8 ounces or 125 grams) all-purpose flour
2/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 Tbsp espresso powder
  1. Butter an 8×8 pan
  2. Mix softened butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla (and espresso powder).
  3. Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions.
  4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 18-22 minutes, or until set in the middle.
Toasted almonds

Espresso powder, egg, vanilla
Dough, chips, almonds



These were so chewy and dense! They got two thumbs waaaay up. Especially from Jerry, and the people at my office.
I think that toasting the almonds is a necessary step. The crunch really provides a contrast in texture. And next time I would use two tablespoons of espresso powder. I will definitely be trying this with other additions.

What is your favorite baked good?

2 Comments:

At June 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Blogger ridiculouslikethat said...

I love Deb and Smitten Kitchen! I have never made one of her recipes and been disappointed. How to Cook Everything was on sale at Borders a few months ago, bundled with How To Cook Everything Vegetarian. I think I paid $19.99. I believe there is an iPhone app as well.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Deb's pictures are half the reason I love Smitten Kitchen.
And I am definitely going to look into getting the app!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home