This Page

has been moved to new address

Overnight Oats

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Overnight Oats

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Overnight Oats

Ever since I was young I loved to eat oatmeal and milk. I wouldn't even cook it, just pour some milk over it and eat it. My Mom always thought it was a little strange for a kid to eat raw oatmeal, but I guess kids eat worse things, right?
Mom has been telling me about Overnight Oats for a while now. (Apparently quite a popular breakfast among food bloggers). You put your oats and whatever milk or yogurt you like in a container overnight in the fridge, and in the morning you have breakfast! I like to make mine in a jar so I can transport them to work without spilling.
This morning I dragged my butt to a 7am Spinning class. It is only my second class, but I liked it much better than my first.
I knew I would be starving when I got home so I made my overnight oats last night.
Half a cup of rolled oats, one cup of almond milk, and one tablespoon of chia seeds.

Yes, chia seeds. Just like the ones you slathered on that little clay animal and watched grow into 'hair' when you were a kid. Ch-ch-ch chia!
They are apparently quite healthy for you. High in Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. They hold a lot of moisture, so they are supposed to keep you feeling full for a long time. I like them because they add a little crunch and snap to my oats. I got them in the bulk section at the grocery store.
I topped my oats with raspberries, sunflower butter, and granola. 
Check out all that gooey sunflower butter!
We are off to the in-laws for lunch, and then I have to get some serious grocery shopping done. Our fridge is looking pretty pathetic.
Anyone have any good ideas for dinner this week?

5 Comments:

At June 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM , Blogger LaurenMcC said...

I have been wanting to try overnight oats forever! Can you use steel cut oats? Did you heat it up or just eat cold?

 
At June 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I ate it cold. I am not sure about steel cut oats, they might need to be cooked. I used rolled, but not the quick cooking kind. Let me know if it works.

 
At June 22, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Blogger LaurenMcC said...

Made it for the first time with rolled oats! Added chia seeds, almond butter & coconut flakes. I wish I could eat it again :)

 
At June 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM , Blogger Clare said...

Erin, i want to try this because it looks wonderful, are the proportions just sort of fly by the seat of your pants, or is there a science to it? also, can you use skim? or is that gross?

 
At June 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM , Blogger Clare said...

As per previous comment, i am a dummy, i see the proportions on your post! Brilliant!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home