This Page

has been moved to new address

Frittata Time

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Frittata Time

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Frittata Time

I love eggs! I usually go for a nice fried egg with a runny yolk and some toast for dipping. Jerry prefers his scrambled and covered in cheese. But last night we made a frittata.
It all started with farm fresh eggs.
My sister in law Sara raises chickens on her farm in Holland Patent. They produce the best eggs! Look at the size of those things! They really do taste better than store bought eggs. Especially the yolks, which are so dark they are almost orange.
I put five eggs in a bowl with a splash of milk and a dash of hot sauce. Seasoned with a little salt and pepper. I beat it with a whisk until it was nice and frothy. I was trying to make sure the frittata came out nice and fluffy.
Next came the vegetables. I started those in a pan with one tablespoon of olive oil and a little salt.
I used half an onion, half of a small green pepper, the rest of the asparagus I got at Savicki's, and spinach. It was so green! And way too many veggies for the pan. I ended up transferring it to a larger pan before I added the eggs.
I turned the heat to low/med-low and added the eggs. I let it cook for a few minutes, then I added two ounces of goat cheese and some sliced tomatoes on top.
I let it cook a couple more minutes and then put it under the broiler. I would recommend that you watch your food while it is under the broiler. Do not wander away, or you can quickly end up with burned dinner! But in this case the pan was a little too far away from the broiler, so I left it in there almost four minutes. You want it to be just set in the middle, but with a little jiggle to it. The whole thing will cook in about 10 minutes.
It looked pretty similar when it came out.
Let it rest for 10 minutes before you slice into wedges. I sliced mine a little too soon and it did not hold together very well. But still tasted terrific! The goat cheese was very creamy and slightly tart, and I loved the sliced tomatoes on top. Next time I might add some herbs to brighten the flavor (basil would have been good).

Frittatas are great because they are so versatile. You can use pretty much any vegetable, meat, or cheese you have on hand (not surprisingly, Jerry said it would have been better with bacon). They are also great for brunches since they taste great at room temperature. Plus it sounds so fancy ;)

3 Comments:

At June 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM , Blogger LaurenMcC said...

Yum, I need to start eating eggs for dinner more often!

 
At June 1, 2011 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Michael Zee said...

When I first had the eggs from our range-free chickens (my wife raises them as one of her hobbies) I couldn't believe how orange the yolks were! It makes you wonder what we are doing to our factory farmed animals and what we are actually eating.

 
At June 3, 2011 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Erin said...

@Mike: I agree! They even make better baked goods.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home