This Page

has been moved to new address

Brava!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Brava!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Brava!

We had such a great time at the opera! And I know I've said it before, but I love having a date night in the middle of the week.


When we got to Glimmerglass, we picked up the picnic dinner we had pre-ordered and found a table to eat at.
Jerry had the 'Grilled Lemon Chicken Breast on Baby Greens with Mediterranean Orzo and a Fresh Berry Tartlet'.
I had "Jumbo Crab Cakes with Champagne Remoulade, Tri-Color Coleslaw, Potato Salad, and a Coconut Cupcake".


To be honest, I expected our dinner to be better. Both meals were a little bland. The only thing we really enjoyed were the crab cakes. They were flavorful and crispy.
Even my cupcake was pretty dry. But I did love the frosting!


If you make the trip to Glimmerglass, I would recommend packing your own picnic.
We did remember to pack some wine for our dinner. We shared a bottle of Swedish Hill Viking White. It was very good. Light and slightly sweet.


After dinner we walked around the grounds of the opera house for a few minutes.

Alice Busch Opera Theater
The performance of Medea was wonderful. Keep in mind that this is only the 2nd opera I have ever been to, so I am certainly no expert.
Medea is performed in Italian, but the opera house has super titles above the stage to help you follow the story. This particular opera had a very simple plot, and only a handful of main characters. But this was a very intense opera, and most definitely a tragedy. Not surprising since it is based on Greek mythology. It was all about betrayal and revenge. The woman who played the role of Medea was absolutely amazing. She got many "Brava"s and a well deserved standing ovation.

I would highly recommend Glimmerglass Festival to anyone. And if the thought of an opera scares you, I encourage you to give it a try. I thought Jer would be hesitant about going to an opera. He confessed the real reason he was willing to see an opera over our picnic dinner. In one of his favorite movies, Philadelphia, Tom Hanks' character explains to Denzel Washington why he loves the aria La Mamma Morta. It is one of Jerry's favorite scenes.



If I couldn't convince my husband to see an opera, I'm glad Tom Hanks could  :)

As usual, we have a busy weekend ahead of us. Tonight we are off to a wedding for a co-worker's daughter. Tomorrow Jer and I are running the Ranger Run 5k at the Great American Irish Festival. Then it is off to Albany for the afternoon to watch my cousin's baseball game. The weather looks great, so we are hoping to hit up either the Irish fest, or a state park on Sunday.
Happy Weekend!

1 Comments:

At August 1, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger jt_speedfreak said...

Fun opera fact - there is a difference between bravo! (for a male singer) and brava! (for a female singer). I didn't know it until Medea; good thing I didn't call out bravo to Medea, she might have turned her anger on me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home