This Page

has been moved to new address

Meatless Monday: Coconut Curry Veggies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Meatless Monday: Coconut Curry Veggies

Monday, July 18, 2011

Meatless Monday: Coconut Curry Veggies

I am thoroughly enjoying the hot weather. That might be because we have central air. But I am certainly enjoying the sunshine!
Sunday we took a trip to Lake George, to spend the day with the McCaffreys (my sister Lauren's in-laws). It was a beautiful day for the beach.


I'm thinking I need more beach days in my life. A girl could get used to lounging around in the sun all day. As long as she is slathered in SPF 70.
When we got home Jerry put together his new grill. I continued my lounging and sipped on a glass of chilled white in the hammock.



The grill took a while to assemble. I moved my lounging over to the patio. With another glass of wine.


It got too dark to get a picture of the grill, but I am sure we will be using it soon.

My lounging came to an end today. I managed to run two miles with Jerry and Sadie this morning, and then went to an hour of kickboxing after work and a trip to the grocery store.
Dinner tonight was pretty simple to throw together. I sauteed some veggies, made some rice, and made a coconut curry sauce. I tossed in some chick peas for protein.
(Warning: this was not a photogenic meal. I hate when we eat after the sun goes down).



Coconut Curry Vegetables and Chick Peas


Veggies: Saute 4-5 cups of any vegetables you like. I used pepper, zucchini, summer squash, onions, broccoli, and carrots

Sauce:
  • 2 Tbls canola oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbls fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 tsp curry powder (or 1 Tbls curry paste)
  • 1/4 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • lime, zested and juiced
  • 1 can light coconut milk (unsweetened)
  • garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro
While your vegetables are cooking, add the garlic, ginger, and lime zest to the oil in a sauce pan. When they are soft, add the coconut milk, spices, and lime juice. If you like it spicy, add more curry or 1-2 tsp of Sriracha sauce. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
When the veggies were almost done I threw in a can of rinsed chick peas, just to warm them up.
I put a pile of the vegetable/chick peas on top of some rice, and then poured the sauce on top. Garnish with chopped scallions or cilantro if you like.

I love both coconut and curry, and I loved this creamy-spicy combination. I was tempted to lick the sauce left in the bottom of my bowl. I soaked it up with bread instead.
Unfortunately Jerry does not like coconut. Or curry. Or chick peas. And my supportive guinea pig husband ate it anyways. And politely said "Not my favorite". I love him for eating dinner with me, even though he knew he wouldn't like it.
I'm already picturing myself at the movie theater watching Captain America to make it up to him  :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home