This Page

has been moved to new address

Date Night

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Date Night

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Date Night

Last night I made a healthy, light dinner. Grilled chicken breast, whole wheat couscous salad, and steamed pole beans. I stopped at the farm stand by our house after work yesterday and was excited to see that pole beans are in season! Green beans are one of my most favorite vegetables, and I especially love pole beans.

This salad is so versatile, you can pretty much throw any kind of veggies you want in there.

Couscous Salad
  • 1 cup whole wheat couscous (I like Hodgson Mill brand)
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
  • 1/2-1 cup chopped herbs (parsley, basil, cilantro, thyme, anything you like will work)
  • 3/4 cup feta, crumbled or cubed
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • salt and pepper 
  • pinch of crushed red pepper
Prepare the couscous according to package directions. Fluff with a fork.
Saute carrot, onion, garlic, and red pepper in olive oil until soft. Add cranberries and let cool. Add to couscous. Mix in herbs, feta, and almonds.


I put tons of parsley and basil in the salad, I also tossed in some of the arugula I have been growing on the deck. You can eat this warm or cold. It was hot last night so I made the salad before BodyPump and put it in the fridge. I steamed the beans and then drizzled a little olive oil on them. The chicken was marinated in canola oil, balsamic vinegar, and Symeon's seasoning.

This is a favorite summer meal of mine. Unfortunately, Jerry does not feel the same way. I make a variation of this couscous once or twice a month, and it is not his favorite. He also doesn't love pole beans, and didn't eat any. I'm going to be eating leftover beans for a month. Not that I'm complaining :)

This morning I emailed Jerry and asked if he would go on a date with me tonight. I love to have date night in the middle of the week. We are going to dinner at Mitsuba and then to see Green Lantern. He loves katsudon and comic book movies, so maybe that will make up for last night's couscous and beans...

Even though my legs are sore from BodyPump yesterday, I was all psyched up to go for a run after work today.
Then I noticed the sky.

Hopefully it is just a passing shower, and I can still squeeze a few miles in before my hot date!

2 Comments:

At July 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Jerry liked Green Lantern. And told me I look like Peter Pan in that picture.

 
At July 14, 2011 at 9:49 AM , Blogger jt_speedfreak said...

Peter Panning...
Pan...
Panning...


Love my "Hook" movie quotes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home