This Page

has been moved to new address

Off Kilter

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Off Kilter

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Off Kilter

This has been a strange week. Between meetings, doctor appointments, Jerry's running, and helping out with hay at his parent's house (aka the Farm), I feel all out of sorts. I like my routine, and I don't like when things get all out of whack! I think we've had dinner after 9pm every night this week.

Last night I made homemade veggie burgers. Now, I don't have anything against frozen veggie burgers, there are a few I like. But sometimes I think maybe they should taste more like... vegetables. A lot of the frozen veggie burgers are soy based products that are trying to taste like meat. No thanks, I want mine to taste like vegetables.

I sauteed onion, garlic, red pepper, and artichokes in some olive oil. I steamed one russet potato and smashed it up with one can of cannellini beans. I added 1/2 cup of rolled oats, an egg, and fresh rosemary, basil, and parsley. I mixed it all together and put it in the fridge until it was time to eat. Then I formed the gooey mixture into patties and pan fried them. Yum.

Whole wheat bun, goat cheese, tomato, and the world's largest basil leaf.
Jerry had his with sharp cheddar. I probably don't need to tell you he also had onions.

The flavor of these was great, but next time I would only use half a potato. The texture was a little too mushy. I like a nice firm burger. Maybe chick peas instead of cannellini?

For lunch today I had leftovers from Tuesday night. I had grilled shrimp, red peppers, and eggplant. I chopped the veggies, reheated the shrimp, and added some goat cheese to my baby greens. Shrimp is not my most favorite seafood, but they tasted pretty darn good covered in Old Bay and goat cheese.

Still loving the vanilla seltzer.
I just ate some yogurt and snowberries raspberries with coconut.


I'm hoping this tides me over until dinner. Jerry is unloading hay at the Farm, so dinner will be late again. Grilled sirloin, asparagus, and Mom's gazpacho are on the menu for tonight.
In the mean time I am going to occupy myself with a run! Then I am making marinara and meatballs for the carbo-loading pre-Boilermaker dinner on Saturday.
You can still carbo-load if you are just cheering, right?

5 Comments:

At July 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Denny Love said...

GOD this all looks DELICIOUS! I want in!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 7:07 PM , Blogger EHHMom said...

cheering and clapping deserve carbs too! I am going to try those veggie burgers, oh and did you like the lemon drop melon?

 
At July 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Hopefully you'll be able to relax this weekend and get back into the swing of things... It's hard to make a firm veggie burger. Seems like they are all mushy even the store bought ones :(

 
At July 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM , Blogger LaurenMcC said...

Those burgers look great, I might have to give them a try. I can't wait for this weekend, I have been taking the carbo-loading very seriously!

 
At July 7, 2011 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Den, feel free to join us for pasta on Saturday!

I think I can improve the veggie burger, I'll keep you all posted.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home