This Page

has been moved to new address

Elevated Heart Rate

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Elevated Heart Rate

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Elevated Heart Rate

As the half marathon is getting closer (less than 4 weeks!) I am now running 4 days a week. On yesterday's run I tested out the heart rate monitor that came with my GPS watch.


All you do is wet the sensors, and hook the band around your chest. (I wore it right under my sports bra). It is obviously not made for petite women, and I had to wear it on the smallest size.
I was surprised that I didn't really notice it while running. It didn't slip or move at all. 
4.2 miles in 42:24
Mile 1- 10:29
Mile 2- 10:17
Mile 3- 9:59
Mile 4- 9:43
Overall pace of 10:05.
Average heart rate: 152 beats per minute.
I had no idea what the heart rate meant until I read this handy article. I was working out at about 70% of my max heart rate, in the "aerobic zone".

By the time I showered, I was ready to inhale the vegetable lasagna I made on Sunday. Jerry was hosting a workshop at Hamilton until 9pm, so I ate solo.

Lasagna is less of a recipe and more a method. You basically layer sauce, pasta, and filling until you reach the top of the pan.

Steps to Building a Perfect Lasagna:

A layer of sauce on the bottom to prevent noodles from sticking
A layer of noodles
A layer of filling, then ricotta, then sauce
Another layer of noodles, followed by more filling/ricotta/sauce
Add a last layer of noodles to the top, then cover with remaining sauce and grated mozzarella
Bake 50 minutes, covered at 350
The veggies I used were a large zucchini, a small eggplant, 3 ears of corn, and one yellow onion. I sauteed them in olive oil, salt and pepper, and let them cool before building my lasagna.
The cheese layer was 16 oz of ricotta with one egg, 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and chopped fresh parsley.
For the Gorgonzola bechamel, I didn't follow a recipe or even keep track of measurements. Woops.
Worst blogger ever.
But I did find this recipe from Mario Batali for bechamel that is pretty much exactly what I did.
I used skim milk for my sauce. I only used a pinch of nutmeg, as well as a pinch of cayenne pepper. When I took the sauce off the heat I melted in (approximately) 2/3 cup of crumbled cheese.
 
Lasagna is a versatile meal, since you can use any filling you want. Any combination of meat/cheese/veggies will work.


This was a nice contrast to the meaty lasagna we had on Sunday. The bechamel tasted rich, but the veggies kept it tasting fresh and light. (Don't worry, I am under no illusions that any lasagna can be considered a light meal). I'm pretty sure if I had been wearing my heart rate monitor, there would have been a spike in my heart rate while I was eating this lasagna.
What is your favorite lasagna filling?

Some of you have expressed an interest in what I eat for lunch. So this week I am photographing all my lunches. People at work think I am crazy.
I'll put them in post and discuss some healthy work/school lunch options next week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home