This Page

has been moved to new address

Eggplant Stacks and Fraidy Cats

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Eggplant Stacks and Fraidy Cats

Friday, August 19, 2011

Eggplant Stacks and Fraidy Cats

One of Jerry's favorite foods is eggplant parmesan. It is not a health food. Eggplant soaks up a lot of oil when cooked, and there is always tons of cheese. How can you blame someone for loving that?
In my searches for a lighter version of Eggplant Parm, I came across this recipe by Rachael Ray for Eggplant Parm Stacks. I simplified the recipe a bit but used the same general method she used. 20 ingredients in one recipe is far too many for a Thursday night.

I sauteed some Swiss chard simply with salt and pepper. I made a quick tomato sauce with lots of garlic and crushed red pepper. After frying my gigantic eggplant slices, I started stacking.


A layer of plain ricotta cheese, and then Swiss chard. I topped them with my chunky tomato sauce.


I grated some fresh pecorino cheese on top and put them in the oven for 10 minutes. We had a side of whole wheat pasta and a glass of Malbec.


The wine was Alhambra Malbec Reserva 2008. Its no surprise that I liked it. I have yet to find a Malbec that I didn't like. They are dry and fruity, but light enough to eat with pasta. Probably my favorite type of red. This one was very good, with a nice berry flavor.
Dinner was very good, although I am not sure I would call it healthy. It wasn't loaded with cheese, but it took quite a few tablespoons of oil to fry the eggplant. The eggplant was my favorite part. I loved the thick, meaty slices that didn't get soggy. The breading stayed nice and crispy.

After dinner last night a thunderstorm rolled through. Sadie has suddenly become afraid of thunder. Jerry felt bad and let her up on the couch, where she is not normally allowed. She came over to me to cuddle, and had the most worried look on her face!


Is your dog afraid of thunderstorms?

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger LaurenMcC said...

I am not a huge eggplant fan but it has been growing on me and that looks delish!
Izzy is scared of small children and delivery men but not thunderstorms!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home