This Page

has been moved to new address

Kitchen Confession

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Kitchen Confession

Friday, August 5, 2011

Kitchen Confession

I'm going to say something a little controversial here. I like Rachael Ray. There, I said it. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I hope I still have blog readers left after this confession.
Now, I am not going to argue that Rachael Ray is the best chef on TV, or that she isn't a little annoying or corny. She is loud and puts too much cheese in her food.
But her recipes are made (mostly) of real food, and made quickly. She has taught Americans that you can actually get a healthy meal on the table during the week. How can you hate that? Plus, brunette from upstate NY that loves chopping vegetables and talking about her dog is a woman after my own heart.

The first meal I ever cooked for my husband in my little grad school apartment was You Won't Be Single For Long Vodka Cream Penne.

Circa 2005. Notice how I changed the name?
Is the name ridiculous? Of course. But not as ridiculous as Why-the-Chicken-Crossed-the-Road Sante Fe-tastic Tortilla Soup. Despite the names, both meals are delicious.

Last night I tossed together a vegetable pasta salad that Rachael would have been proud of. And excellent use of the miscellaneous vegetables in my fridge, and came together as fast as you can cook the pasta. Feel free to throw in any veggies you like.

Asparagus Tomato Pasta Salad
  • 12 oz whole wheat pasta
  • 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced
  • handful of basil leaves, chopped
  • 1/3 cup feta, crumbled
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 Tbls Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
While you cook the pasta, whisk the last five ingredients in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and scallions. When the pasta has a 2 minutes left, throw the asparagus in with the pasta to cook. Drain, and run under cold water. Toss with the vinaigrette, then add feta and basil. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


We served this with grilled chicken and grilled corn.


Doesn't Jerry's new grill makes the prettiest grill marks?
 YUM-O!

Do you have a kitchen or cooking secret you have been dying to get off your shoulders?

2 Comments:

At August 5, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Blogger ridiculouslikethat said...

Looks yummy!

I like RR's recipe's, but I really can't stand her. For me it goes back to that silly $40 a Day show and the awful tips she left. I was waitressing at the time so it hit a sore spot with me and I hold grudges.

Please don't ever tell me that you like Sandra Lee, I don't think I would be able to handle that.

 
At August 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Liking her recipes but not her personailty is completely understandable.
And don't even get me started on Sandra Lee!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home