This Page

has been moved to new address

A Pirate and A Cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: A Pirate and A Cake

Monday, October 31, 2011

A Pirate and A Cake

Happy Halloween, from witches and runners and pirates!


Doesn't she looked thrilled to be wearing that hat?
I think Sadie should wear more skirts.

Last week I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to make an apple cake. She said her mom used to make an amazing one, and got me the recipe from my Aunt Pam. 

It is basically a dense vanilla cake with layers of cinnamon apples baked inside. 


Apple Cake

Peel 5 large apples and cut into thin slices.  Mix 5 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.  Sprinkle over apples and set aside.  

Put first 7 ingredients into mixing bowl:
  • 3 cups unsifted flour
  • 2 1/3 cups sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 4 eggs unbeaten
  • 1 cup cooking oil (vegetable)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1 1/2 tsps baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsps baking powder
Blend together with mixer on low speed for one minute, then 3 minutes on medium speed.   
Add the baking soda and the baking powder.  Mix for 1 minute more.   
Grease tube pan and fill with alternating layers of batter and sliced apples. (3 layers of batter, 2 of apples, beginning ending w/ batter).



Bake at 350 for 1 ½ hours.


*Note: Do not let the apple layers touch the bottom or sides of the pan or the cake will stick. 
I learned this lesson the hard way. 




And this was taken from a good angle. Whoops

Of course, the cake still tasted wonderful. But what would make it taste more wonderful? 
Homemade caramel sauce, of course!



I heated 1/2 cup of sugar and 1.5 tablespoons of water on the stove. Once it boils, do not stir. Wait until it becomes a medium brown color. Remove from heat. Be careful, because boiling sugar is hot. Add 1/4 cup of heavy cream. It will spit and bubble up, so keep your hands away. Then whisk until the cream is combined. 
Let it cool slightly and then serve. 
Or eat with a spoon. 
Or lick it off your husband's chin.




Jerry and I really enjoyed dessert. 


And we really enjoy torturing our dog. 


Jer and I are off to see our nieces and nephews all dressed up this evening. And then hopefully whip up a quick dinner and hand out candy at our house. With the help of a pirate, of course.

Have a Happy Halloween!

Do you dress up your dog for Halloween?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At October 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Joie said...

Whipped cream and caramel sauce covers a multitude of sins, including but not limited to pieced-together cakes. Looks fantastic! I too decided I wanted to make an apple cake, and turned to a recipe I've wanted to try. No homemade caramel sauce, but it was still tasty. I have a bunch of apples, still, and can't wait to try your cake!

 
At October 31, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Joie said...

PS. whoops, now I see that's ice cream, not whipped cream. Even better! I like the way you roll.

 
At November 2, 2011 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Erin said...

Thanks Joie!
I thought about a thick layer of powdered sugar to cover it up as well.
Apparently when a cake looks less than perfect, the key is to cover it in some form of sugar; powdered, frosting, caramel, etc. Works for me!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home