This Page

has been moved to new address

Fake-a-Rita

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hungry Heart: Fake-a-Rita

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fake-a-Rita

A few months ago Jerry and I went to The Mission restaurant in Syracuse with our friends Kevin and Sara.
I gazed longingly at the homemade (i.e. not from a mix) margarita on the rocks.

Source
I tried to live vicariously through Jerry and told him to order one, but he is not a tequila lover. 
I have been craving a margarita ever since.

Sara mentioned that I should just make a virgin cocktail for myself.
I found this margarita recipe from Alton Brown and decided to give it a try. I added a few frozen strawberries.
Mmm, strawberry Fake-A-Rita.



It didn't exactly taste like a margarita. But it was pretty delicious. This would be prefect on a hot day or while BBQ-ing outside.
I think the agave nectar to sweeten the drink was a decent substitute for the tequila.
Although I did miss the tequila a little.

And as refreshing as this was, it was like liquid acid going down my throat.
But satisfying my margarita craving was worth a little bit of heartburn.

Last night's dinner was a little random. I had defrosted chicken and some broccoli in the fridge. But the thought of eating broccoli was totally unappealing. I have had better luck eating vegetables when I hide them inside a one-pot meal.
So I threw together a pasta/chicken/broccoli dish.


I cooked some chicken breast with some blackening seasoning and then set it aside.
I sauteed chopped garlic in a pan and then made a Quick Cheese Sauce:
  • Melt one tablespoon olive oil and one tablespoon butter. 
  • Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons flour and whisk until it forms a paste. Let cook for a few minutes.
  • Whisk in 1 1/2 cups of skim milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a bubble.
  • Remove from heat and stir in 3-4 ounces of grated cheese
I used sharp cheddar cheese and added a pinch of the blackening seasoning to the sauce.
I cooked up 1/2 pound of whole wheat pasta and added 2 cups of chopped broccoli to the pot for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
I diced the chicken and added it to the sauce. Once the pasta was drained I threw everything into the sauce.


I loved the flavor the extra garlic and blackening seasoning gave to the dish. I even picked out the broccoli and ate it first. I really liked it covered in the slightly cheesy cream sauce.
If you had pre-cooked chicken and frozen chopped broccoli, this dinner would take you 20 minutes, tops.

Jerry enjoyed his with a nice glass of Pinot Noir.


I wonder when it is appropriate to have a glass of wine after giving birth?
A few weeks? When you get back home? In the recovery room?!

1 Comments:

At May 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Denny Love said...

a) the Mission is THE BEST I love it. Used to go there in college on Dad's credit card lol.
b) seriously someone should just bring wine to the birth of baby T. Perhaps I'll send some.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home